Saturday, June 14, 2008

Confession

Forgive me blog for I have sinned. It has been 19 days since my last post.

Of course, on a more positive note, it has been 19 days since my last post!

I can't even remember all the swell things that have happened to me in that time - but let me try........................

.......Nope. Nothing springs to mind. I guess I'll just give you the same old updates of books and movies.

What have I read of late? Well, I'm glad you asked.

I think I'd started on "The Kraken Wakes" by John Wyndham as at last post. It was good.

Honestly, that's all I can come up with. It's not that I didn't enjoy the book, I just can't seem to be bothered with the whole blog post thing. But, it's been 19 days, and I'm no quitter, just a massive procrastinator and put-er-off-er-er.

I also read a book called "Why the toast always lands butter side down - The science of Murphy's Law" by Richard Robinson. This was reasonably interesting - though premised upon something of a misconception about Murphy's Law itself.

I read a very good book called "White Hotel" by D.M. Thomas. This was a loaner (thanks Clinton and Jennifer), and is an exceptional book. Very unpredictable and well-written. I cannot recommend it highly enough. Highly enough for what I don't know. If I did know, I still doubt that I'd be up to the task - because I really can't be bothered.

I read Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut Jnr. This was good, but not his best. Again, I wouldn't know how highly to recommend it, so won't bother.

I'm currently reading "The Midwich Cuckoos" by John Wyndham. This is shaping up to be one of his best, along with "Day of The Triffids". It's got a very Stephen King feel to it. This one was filmed as "Village of the Damned", which I've never seen (and so am probably not well placed to recommend to an appropriate altitude).

Last weekend we went the football with the Scotts and the Trumpets (as we call them), to see Hawthorn defeat Essendon at the Telstra dome. First AFL match for our kids (and only about the 5th for me). Connick didn't enjoy it much, and not only because he's a bombers fan - he found the crowd too noisy (which is the pot calling the kettle black). Jesamine loved it, and we're already making plans to see Collingwood and Footscray (as I still call them) next weekend.

Oohh. I forgot to mention. I finally won a game of Puerto Rico before the footy. Yay for me.

We stayed over in Melbourne (well, Box Hill really) and went to the movies the next day to see Prince Caspian.

BORING!!!!

Suzy and I left half way through and snuck into another cinema to see Sex & the City. I didn't think much of that either. So after 10 minutes I found myself a comfortable couch and lay down and read a book until I fell asleep.

Soccer Update!!!!

I think since the last update we've had a forfeit (for the first time ever we just couldn't pull a team together) and a win. My knee has been fairly sore since last Wednesday. I went to the hospital last Friday on the way home from work, but the Dr thinks it's just a slightly torn tendon and should heal itself.

On account of the knee, I sat out this week, and ended up going out to Inferno (nighclub) to see Irwin Thomas (whom you may recall as Jack Jones of Southern Sons), Tania Doko (of Bachelor Girl), Jon Stevens (of Noiseworks, and some really crap reality TV show) and Ian Moss (of Cold Chisel).

Suzy and I used to drive to Melbourne to see Jack when we was a-courtin'. His voice is unbelievable. It was great back in the Southern Sons days, but that doesn't even compare to the way he sings now. Of course, if I wanted to be really cynical, which I so often do, I'd suggest he's gone from impersonating John Farnham to impersonating Jeff Buckley. I don't know how highly it would be appropriate to commend him, but I'm imagining pretty high, and I'm by no means a tall chap.

I missed Jon Stevens, but didn't miss him - if you get my drift. He's cuter than the others, and does have a great rock voice, but really he could be any rock singer wearing a tight t-shirt in any pub across Australia.

Ian Moss was sensational. I was not a Cold Chisel fan during the 80s. I thought they were low-brow bogan rock. Which it quite ironic considering I spent part of the 80s listening to Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden - go figure.

As it happens, I was mowing the lawn last weekend on the ride-on - and had a lot of Cold Chisel popping up on the iPod. At this stage I didn't know I'd be going to see Mossy on Wednesday, but I was realising what great songs Cold Chisel had, and how talented they were. Still doesn't mean I want to hear pissed guys in pubs shouting along to their songs though and suggesting there's some manner of aqua-railway from Sydney to Hong Kong.

Anyway, I'm told that we had a draw in soccer that night.

Suzy went up to Lakes Entrance on Thursday night to have a scapping weekend in our apartment. Unfortunately she's not been well so has hardly left the bed so far. Which is better than Lee, who was to go but has also been unwell and didn't even get there (and with Brian at home to tend to her every need, who can blame her!).

I straightened our chookhouse today, with a little help from the kids. I think the chookhouse deserves a blog entry of its own at some point, but to summarise, I started building this over a year ago (it could even be two years). It's been bloody expensive, and after my work rate had declined considerably and it was becoming a source of some humiliation, a large gum tree fell on it. So, for some time it was remained unfinished and looking like the Ettamogah Chook House. Anyway, it's now standing straight again, and I really should finish it so that the chooks have somewhere safe to live while we're on our cruise in July.

Before I sign off, let me share with you a very funny video that someone sent me on facebook:



Oh, I almost forgot. I got "tagged". I can't remember what the deal was, but Lee tagged me and now if I don't tell you 7 random facts about myself, I'll .... um .... well I'm not really sure there was much to compel me to be quite honest. And if there was, it would surely be cyber-bullying and Today-Tonight would be on to like a thing that gets onto other things quite rapidly ... on that other thing.

I'm also supposed to tag other people. "Friends" I think they're called. Sorry. Don't have any. Fuck off.

7 Random Facts about me:
5 - I think I can dance.
3 - I used to be a boy.
6 - I think "chestnuts" could be a very funny word for breasts, and so spend much of December sniggering.
7 - I have a "thing" about hairs growing in my ears and nose, and somehow think that I look better sitting around with a pair of tweezers up my nose than with even the smallest follicle.
2 - I was always good at maths - but I'm really bad with numbers.
4 - I don't believe life has any meaning.
1 - Usually with things like this I make up answers for a cheap laugh - but not this time!

Goodnight all you scrunchy-munchkins!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm video is showing 'Not Available'?

Do you still have Mandy's book? Sounds interesting... oh thats right I have several to read still.... the answer is no, since I know what you are asking...

Oh you will be a footy bogan before we know it, how is that mullett coming?

Gotta go, toilet calls.... yes still....