Saturday, February 5, 2011

Jesamine's bed

I'm not known for finishing things. In fact I'm somewhat renowned for NOT finishing things. Nonetheless, yesterday I finished building Jesamine's bed. Re-building actually. I made Jesamine a four-poster bed about ten years ago (to match the cot that I made her when she was but a wee baby). The bed was made entirely from recycled timber - and just scrap packing timber at that!

Anyway, many months ago I pulled it apart to change it from a single to a double. This meant making it an eight-poster (because that was the easiest way to make it wider).

I did a quick 3D model in Blender to plan out how I was going to make it ...



My planning didn't avoid a couple of "challenges" along the way. I forgot that I'd originally made the bed head higher than the foot. I also found in putting it together that I'd originally (accidentally) made the side rails along the top 1 inch shorter than the bottom rails. Now I know why it had never gone together well as a single bed!

The biggest challenge was when I tried to assemble it all myself, resulting in falling and crashing and breaking and undoing of quite a bit of work.

This time around Jesamine helped me to assemble it (Jesamine also did most of the staining and lacquering of the new components).

And here it is - all finished ..
.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yep I know I am the mother that made you fron a seed or was that a stork or a tadpole or whatever. Hope you didnt get your sex education from your mother. But I know I am probably the proudest person in your life. You have done a super job with the help of the beautiful Jesamine on the eight poster bed. It looks Great. and finished .Well done my boy. I also loved the new drawings you have done especially Dermot and Black Jack. Great. love ya. Mother Eddy