Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Police - in concert no less

I saw The Police last night at the MCG. The ticket was a birthday present from mum, and by the most remarkable of coincidences my seat was exactly next to my brother's seat, even though he got his ticket from mum for his birthday which is like a month after mine.

Spooky.

Actually, it's lucky we weren't wearing matching shirts, which I'm sure we would also have received for our respective birthdays - such is the madness of the modern mother.

I was camping in Seaspray with the family for the Australia Day long weekend, so headed off from there after lunch, took care of a few jobs around the house (feeding animals, napping on couch etc), then picked Danny up from a naturalisation shindig for Declan, the local ex-Irish bar-keep.

Appalling traffic once we hit the city - what with Australia Day celebrations, the Australian Open women's singles final (isn't it great that they have a final just for single women), and of course 40-odd thousand people making their way to the Police concert.

The Police were supported by Fergie (Jesamine's favourite singer), which I maintain is a pretty odd choice - but she looks great so what the hey!

I've often wondered what an artist with very little material does in a concert, and now I know - covers, and medleys of other covers. She had an excellent backing band, and some cool dancers.

Our seats were so far from the action that we were actually in a dimension theorised by physicists solely for the purposes of reconciling quantum mechanics with general relativity and for cramming more people into concert venues.

On a positive note, we had a good view of the screens, and being at the back of the stadium we only hear the music once - unlike those in the middle who hear it first a half second before us, and again a half second after as it echos off the stands.

Pretentious wanker he may be, but Sting remains a phenomenal musician. His voice was superb, and his bass playing effortlessly precise. Stewart Copeland was also fantastic, and reminded me why he was so revered amongst the percussive fraternity in the eighties (that is to say, in the the nineteen-eighties, not just amongst octogenarian drummers).

You know you're witnessing an eighties revival when the drummer sits in front of a gong. It's a big bastard to carry around, and to be honest, there's not a lot of call for gong-work in most songs.

A source close to the band reported this exchange from 1984 ...

Stewart: Hey Sting, I bought I gong, wanna hear it?

Sting: What the fuck for?

Stewart: Well, every other drummer has one, and they ... well ... not to put too fine a point on it ... rock! I thought I might use it on Roxanne ...

Sting: No!

Stewart: Message in a Bottle?

Sting: No!

Stewart: Even if I hit it really quiet?

Sting: What?

Stewart: Look, me and Andy don't complain when you sing "yo-yo-yo" in every bloody song.

Sting: Oh for fuck's sake. Okay. At the end of Synchronicity II you can hit your bloody gong then.

Stewart: Sting ...

Sting: Yes?

Stewart: It's really heavy. Can you help me carry it?

Sting: Right! That's it! I'm fed up! This bands over!

Anyway, it was a fantastic concert. 4 1/2 stars from me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lucky you going to the concert... and yes I know what you mean about the seating but hey you were THERE and that is definitely something to tell the grandkids! LOL about your brother sitting next to you... I am the kind of mum that does that too... and yes you would have had - if not identical - similar shirts - I mean it's all about being fair and even right down to the last detail.... Looking forward to your next blog.

PS - I read Lee's Blog thats how I ended up here.. curiousity and all that.

Angela said...

Another of Lee's groupies here (are you wishing you didn't leave a comment there yet?)... Wonderful to read the blog of one our generations great thinkers, and his take on the Police concert, even if it wasn't from the best seat ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi Daddy bubs how come you get to seee Fergie and I dont, its just not fair, and you dont even like the way girls sing. Me and Rachel both think its SO unfair.
From Pea!!!!!
P.S. Im going to go on your bloG 50 times.
P.S.S. Harry Potter should be your favorite movie.
C U!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lee said...

Att: Jesamine...it's Rachel and I not me and Rachel, we have talked about this before! ;-P

OK,now to you Link, why is it I am never as amused when I am with you IRL but you actually make me laugh in blogland? Anyway, first, the 'family' reference that Suzy was so excited, was, well, a little, how shall we say, uneventful..... that girl is so easily pleased....obviously... oh and cute :-)

Being married myself, I am thinking about picketing the next Womens Single Final, and really try and get some support for a Womens Married Final.... we'll see how that goes...

As Jesamine would say ...
C U!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


PS: Get your own groupies!