Wednesday, January 30, 2008

What am I reading?

I thought I'd add a new section to my blog for what I'm currently reading. The first thing to note here is that I always have a minimum of two books on the go - one for bed and one for the toilet.

What?

Too much information?

This is my blog and we'll play by my rules thank you very much!

So what are these books and why am I reading them?

Atlas Shrugged is a book I bought myself for Christmas. I even wrapped it up and put it under the tree until Christmas Day! Again, my blog, my rules!

I have been meaning to read some Ayn Rand for about 20 years now. As a teenager I was a big fan of Canadian rock trio Rush (did I just write "Canadian rock trio"? What am I, a music journalist?). Neil Peart, drummer and lyricist for the band, often quoted Ayn Rand as a significant influence (or possibly ONCE quoted Ayn Rand as an influence and had it repeated in articles ever after). Anyway, this was the first time in my life I've actually noticed an Ayn Rand book in a book shop, and so I bought it, and so far I'm enjoying it (so far being page 169 of 1069). The book has a strong philosophical subtext, which, looking at the reviews on Amazon.com, seems to have polarised many readers.

Interestingly, in searching for a link to the book, I found on imdb.com (for the uninitiated, that would be the international movie database) that there is a film version currently in production starring Angelina Jolie. What a most amazing coincidence.

The other book I'm reading at the moment, the toilet book, is a hardcover I inherited from my grandfather some years ago and only recently pulled off the shelf for the first time. As the title suggests, it's a collection of Australian folklore, along with some commentary.

Bye for now.

1 comment:

Lee said...

YES! Too much information.... not a picture I want in my head.... it's right up there with, well I can't put my finger on it, but it's something to do with Queen and a song, Crazy Love or something... ;-P

Atlas Shrugged seems interesting....