Wednesday, February 20, 2008

THE MYSTERIOUS CASE OF THE MISSING CHILD

I spent today in Ringwood for meetings. I decided to make an early start this morning rather than stay over , as we had Danny and Jo over for a BBQ last night, and besides which I don't usually sleep well in motel rooms, so I thought an early start would be, if not desirable, at least less undesirable.

Wrong!

I didn't count on the traffic. One hour and twenty minutes along Stud Rd from the freeway to Ringwood. That's a distance of about 18kms.

So I didn't get the early start I'd hoped for, but that's entirely irrelevant to the story I aim to tell.

I had my phone off during the meetings, as any good employee should - so I was unaware of the following events until I was driving home. This is a true story . Only the names have been changed to protect the innocent. But not very much, because I'm not sure anyone is sufficiently innocent to warrant substantial protection.

A lady I know, let's call her "Soozy", who is married to a charming and handsome young chap of about my general build and demeanour, and who works on Wednesdays - has a standing arrangement with her mother, let's call her "Jill", to pick up the kids from school on Wednesdays. Jill often takes the kids to Soozy's grandparents' house for a visit - which by all accounts is a lovely thing to do.

On this particular Wednesday, let's call it "tooday" - one of the children, a male child of 8 years with none of the personality traits of his charming and handsome father - let's call him "Konnick" - took umbrage at some perceived slight visited upon him by an undoubtedly well meaning senior citizen of direct lineage, and left in what can best be described as a "huff". Had this huff been combined with a puff, and had the aforementioned grandparents lived in a house of straw or twigs, then I shudder to think of how entirely catastrophic the situation may have become (by the hair of my chinny-chin-chin).

As circumstance would have it, the puff-less huff gave Konnick cause to desert the immediate vicinity in a manner rendering all attempts at subsequent location to be of no avail.


Quite the conundrum I'm sure you'll agree.

So, and this is a strange outworking of the tale which I'm yet to investigate further, Jill returned to her own domicile with the remaining child (let's call her "Jasmine" - everyone else does) in tow, to await Soozy's return from work. Upon arrival, Soozy was informed of the pariculars of Konnick's non-attendance, and panic, as I'm sure you have already surmised, ensued.

Calls were made to the local constabulary. Friends, Roman's and countrymen were enlisted to join the search. And I don't doubt there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Eventually, Konnick, employing a quite recent variation on Alexander Graham Bell's 1876 invention, made audible contact with Jill to advise that he was ensconced comfortably within his own abode.

So, a child too lazy to clean his bedroom, walked for 90mins, in the rain, in his socks, from one corner of town to the other, then climbed the balcony outside his parents bedroom, to find an unlocked door (if you're a burglar, rest assured it's usually locked ... to keep the crocodile from getting out and scrapping with the lion), and got inside.

The police apparently gave him a stern talking to, and Suzy (I mean "Soozy") made him ring all of those engaged in the search individually to apologise for the trouble he'd caused.

What a little bugger!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

well after reading about the huff meister and his epic journey i feel it can only be compared to a certain blogster who didnt come home from primary school, but instead went strait to a friends home. A red headed friend if my memory serves me correctly. A much panicked mother ( whom I may add never panicks) was extremly distraught, after getting teachers, friends etc involved in the ensuing search. Finally I came across a most unpertubed child casually ambling home, oblivious to the drama that had unfolded during his absence. What's the difference you may well ask? They look the same, they have the same inbuilt stubborn streak,they are both smart , well the only difference that I can see is that one wore shoes the other only socks. Both caused much anxiety, but all turned out fine in the end except, we now know what to get one of the above for Xmas.SOCKS. Just one more thing I feel I should mention. Listen up Mr Blogster I have the soap at the ready, there is no need to use the F work when blogstering OK ?

Lee said...

Obviously this story is a complete concoction...how can I tell? I hear you ask.

Well the man Soozy is married to is neither charming nor handsome.....

Oh and bugger is not a strong enough word to describe 'Konnick' after this particular incident, especially since I have witnessed the lack of remorse first hand now!

Sherryll said...

OMG, how distressing this would have been for 'Soozy' and your handsome self.

I'm so glad to hear all ended well.