Sunday, February 10, 2008

WHAT AM I MODELLING?

Welcome to a new section on my blog called "What am I modelling?".


Emphasis is important here. You can't read this as me being suprised to find myself in front of a camera - like "What? Am I modelling?".


One of my hobbies is 3D modelling, using the open source software blender (http://www.blender.org/). This started with crazy scheme I embarked on last Christmas with the kids. To summarise a period of prolonged insanity, it went something like this:

1) Let's make a movie

2) Let's make it an animated movie

3) Butchers paper and post-it-notes stuck to kitchen wall for storyboarding

4) Trial various 2D cartoon software products

5) Trial various 3D software products

6) Puchase Poser for 3D animation

7) Start learning Poser

8) This is not easy, rendering times are horrendous, and modelling capability is limited - but it's good fun

9) Discover Blender - full-featured 3D with modelling, animation, compositing, game engine, fluid simulation - WOW!

10) Decide to build a 3D scanner to create models

11) Buy laser for scanner

12) Start writing software to capture laser traced images with webcam and convert into mesh data

13) Hmmm, this is harder than I thought

14) Butchers paper and post-it-notes removed from kitchen wall - it's no longer cute

15) Why would I build a scanner to convert models to meshes when I have no experience with creating real-world models anyway?

16) Movie seems like a distant memory

17) Start learning how to model in Blender ...


And here I am, modelling R2D2. Nerd? What nerd?

4 comments:

Lee said...

YAY, pop up window for comments! Good to see you are taking CC on board.... liked the run down of the Movie thing, especially the 'not cute any more' bit... sums things up nicely I think LOL

Hmmm R2D2, I think I'd have to watch the movie.... not sure how good the likeness is....

Good to see you have taken the pictures in every post thing on board too, as per Shez's suggestion....

Sherryll said...

ha ha, yes, love the pics now !

boy, you've got me, I've got no idea about this blender stuff, I'm off to research, LOL...

you blog is getting more and more interesting by the day, I mean that in a nice way too. :)

Anonymous said...

Hmm, you seem to have a very female based fan club.... I love the drawings (talented little so-and-so), and the modelling thing is fine (fucking freak), but all in all I feel this blog thing (this is the first blog I have ever looked at) needs to be a lot more personal, more blood and guts. Where is the nervous break down we are all on the brink of having? the crazed rantings of a man on the edge? More of that I say! Wait...must go and top up my wine... Yes, back, so...surely a small post like - oh, and by the way, Suzie and I had a raging fight, I screamed at her, she screamed at me, and Connick came in wanting a Vegimite sandwich.... But then again, I could possibly be the only one wanting that. Anyhooo, truely do love your blog, love all your work :) And loved catching up with the V and B on the weekend, great parents you've got there, not at all insane like a certain Bobby Brown I know....

Lee said...

Hmmm bit slow on the movie entry.... thought you'd have it up by now....